Women's Basketball at MIT
Wednesday, November 28 | 7 p.m.
Rockwell Cage | Cambridge, Mass.
• Babson and MIT will meet for the 64th time overall and only time this season on Wednesday night. The Beavers are 52-11 all-time in a series that dates back to the 1976-77 season and swept both matchups last year by a total of seven points.
• Senior Elizabeth Lane scored 13 points, classmate Payton Ouimette pulled down 13 rebounds and the Beavers forced a pair of late turnovers to edge MIT, 56-53, on February 14, 2018, in Babson Park.
• Senior Téa Spellacy added 12 points for Babson, while Taylor V'Dovec led all scorers with 20 points for the Engineers.
LAST MIT WIN
• The Engineers rallied from a 14-point halftime deficit and went 9-of-11 from the free throw line in the second overtime period on their way to defeating the Beavers, 78-74, on January 25, 2017, in Babson Park.
• Giovanna Pickering '17 finished with a then-career-high 31 points to go along with seven rebounds, three assists and two steals for Babson, while V'Dovec scored 29 points on 12-of-19 shooting to lead MIT.
SCOUTING THE ENGINEERS
• MIT (3-2, 0-0 NEWMAC) has dropped two straight games after falling to then-No. 2 Bowdoin on Sunday.
• V'Dovec scored 13 points and Dolly Yuan and Kristen Ngan both added 11 points for the Engineers, who shot just 34.5 percent.
• Ngan (11.8 pts, 3.3 reb) is shoting 53.8 percent from three-point land, first-year Christina Antonakakis (11.5 pts, 4.3 ast) leads the team in assists, and senior Kara Holinski (11.0 pts, 3.2 ast) is shooting 41.7 percent from the floor.
• MIT, which won its first conference tournament championship last season, has five players averaging double figures in scoring.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (1-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) has been idle since winning at Rochester, 58-48, back on November 18.
• Juniors Katherine Tamulionis and Emily Bonifacic both scored 13 points for the Beavers, who outscored the Yellow Jackets 34-16 in the paint.
• Ouimette (15.0 pts, 16.5 reb) has recorded a pair of double-doubles, Tamulionis (10.5 pts, 3.5 ast) is shooting 47.4 percent and Bonifacic has come off the bench to contribute 10.0 points and 5.5 boards.
• The Green and White has limited its first two opponents to just 32.5 percent shooting.
COACHES MAKE THEIR PICK
• Babson, which captured a share of its third consecutive NEWMAC regular season title last winter, received one first place vote and finished second in the league's preseason coaches' poll back in early November.
• The Engineers garnered seven of 11 first-place votes to finish atop the poll, while the Beavers' Saturday opponent Smith collected three first-place votes and was third in the poll.
NEWMAC HONORS FOR OUIMETTE
• After posting a pair of double-doubles and averaging 1.5 steals and 2.5 assists in games against Baldwin Wallace and Rochester, Ouimette was tabbed as the league's defensive player of the week back on November 19.
• Her 20 rebounds in Sunday's victory over the Yellow Jackets was just one short of her career high 21 in a win over Roanoke last December.
• Babson has won 13 of its last 14 league openers going back to the 2004-05 campaign. The lone loss during this stretch was a 71-65 setback to Coast Guard in November 2013.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Over its first two games, the Beavers have scored 71.8 percent of their points in the paint or at the free throw line.