No. 12/8 Baseball at Roger Williams
Wednesday, April 3 | 3:30 p.m.
Paolino Field | Bristol, R.I.
• Babson and Roger Williams will meet for the ninth time in the last 10 years on Wednesday afternoon. The Beavers are 5-3 all-time against the Hawks in a series that began in 2010.
• Junior Matthew Valente hit a bases-clearing double in the first inning and Mark Webber '18 hit a three-run homer in the sixth to help the Beavers defeat Roger Williams, 11-7, on May 2, 2018, in Babson Park.
• Junior Sean Harrington and David Lennon '18 both finished with two hits apiece for Babson, while sophomore Dean DePrata went 2-for-3 with a three-run homer for the Hawks.
LAST ROGER WILLIAMS WIN
• Shawn Cariglio homered and Kevin Baker was 3-for-5 with a pair of doubles and two runs batted in to help the Hawks defeat the Beavers, 10-8, on March 31, 2016, in Babson Park.
• Jake Weiss '17 and senior Eric Jaun both doubled and finished with two hits apiece for Babson, which scored five times in the seventh inning to pull within a run.
SCOUTING THE HAWKS
• Roger Williams (6-10-1) has dropped two straight games after suffering a 6-3 loss at Amherst on Tuesday.
• Eli Camner and Danny Roth combined for five hits and each drove in a run for the Hawks, who led 3-1 early but stranded 11 runners on base.
• Camner is batting .367 with five extra-base hits and nine runs batted in, Roth is hitting .339 with three doubles, four homers and 10 RBI, and Joey Gulino leads the team with eight walks to go along with a .286 average, nine RBI and 10 runs scored.
• Connor Hewlette has gone 2-1 with a 1.48 ERA in four starts, while Matt Vernacatola is 0-1 in seven relief appearances for a Roger Williams staff that owns a 6.13 ERA.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• No. 12/8 Babson (15-2) edged WPI 8-6 to record its school-record-tying 14th straight win on Tuesday afternoon.
• Senior Nicholas Browne hit a second-inning grand slam and sophomore Jordy Allard struck out five over 5.2 innings to improve to 4-0 on the year for the Beavers.
• Junior Jake Oliger is batting .377 with seven doubles, two homers and 21 runs batted in, senior Connor Gill is batting .352 with three doubles and 18 runs scored, and senior Edward Lehr checks in at .328 with six doubles and 16 RBI.
• The trio of Allard, senior Michael Genaro and junior Michael Nocchi have combined to go 8-1 with a 2.13 ERA and 59 strikeouts in 76.0 innings, while senior Max Tannenbaum is 2-0 with three saves in nine relief appearances.
• The Green and White's 14-game winning streak is the second longest in Division III behind No. 2/1 Concordia Chicago's 15 straight wins.
• The program's two longest winning streaks in school history have now come in the span of 33 games. The Beavers won 14 straight last spring before suffering back-to-back losses to Misericorida in the NCAA regionals and have ripped off 14 consecutive wins this season after going 1-2 at No. 3/5 Trinity (Texas)
|2018||14||April 20-May 20|
|2017||13||April 22-May 18|
MORE CONFERENCE HONORS FOR NOCCHI
• Nocchi was selected as the NEWMAC Pitcher of the Week for the second time in four weeks on Monday after limiting Coast Guard to just two hits over 8.0 innings on Saturday.
• He matched his career high with seven strikeouts and retired the first 10 and final 12 batters he faced to improve to 2-0 on the year.
HIT STREAK MARCHES ON
• With his second-inning single on Tuesday, Oliger extended his hitting streak to 19 games. His streak is tied with Babson Hall of Famer Kevin Higa '03 (twice) and Mark Webber '18 for the third longest in school history.
• He had at least one hit in the final three games of 2018 and has a knock in 15 of 16 games this season. Oliger walked four times in four plate appearances to keep the streak going last Monday.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers have outscored their opponents 70-24 over the first four innings this season.