Alpine Ski at Whiteface Mountain
Saturday-Sunday, February 26-27 | 9:30 a.m.
• Babson's men's and women's alpine ski teams will compete for the third weekend in a row when they begin two days of giant slalom competition at Whiteface Mountain on Saturday.
LAST TIME AT WHITEFACE MOUNTAIN
• Juniors Jack Blanchard and MacIntyre Henderson recorded top five finishes to help the men win the slalom, while classmate Elizabeth Baer came in eighth as the Babson women finished fifth in the slalom at the USCSA National Championships last March.
• The historic victory helped the men tie for first in the overall standings after coming in fifth in the GS two days earlier. The women's result in the slaom helped them finish fourth to match the best showing in program history.
SCOUTING THE BABSON MEN
• Junior Sean Robinson recorded a pair of top-10 finishes to help the Beavers finish second and fourth in a two separate slalom races at Crotched Mountain last Friday.
• Blanchard came in third in the first race to earn his first podium finish of the season, Henderson placed fifth in the second race, and first-year Victor Wiacek recorded seventh- and 12th-place showings for the Green and White.
• Henderson (4th), Robinson (7th) and Blanchard (8th) all rank in the top 10 of the MacConnell Division standings through four races.
SCOUTING THE BABSON WOMEN
• Three different skiers recorded a top-10 finish to help the Green and White place second and fourth in the slalom at Crotched Mountain last Friday.
• Sophomore Sarah Mangiacotti and first-year Julia Martin came in fourth and eighth, respectively, in the first race, while Baer followed up a 12th-place showing with an eighth-place finish in the final race of the day.
• Mangiacotti ranks sixth, Baer is 12th and Martin is currently 21st in the MacConnell Division standings. Senior Olivia Burwell also sits in 24th position after recorded a pair of top-20 results last weekend.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
• Baer has recorded three top-five results and has finished outside the top 10 just once in five giant slalom races at Whiteface.
• Blanchard placed fourth, fourth and third, while Henderson came in fifth, seventh and 12th in three GS events last season at Whiteface.
MACCONNELL DIVISION TRENDS
• The Castleton women have won 11 consecutive MacConnell Division races going back to last season. The only other women's program to post a team victory since the start of last year is Babson, which claimed first place in two of the first three division races in 2018.
• On the men's side, either Castleton and Clarkson has won each of the last 10 MacConnell Division races since UConn claimed first place in the first GS race at Whiteface last season.