Softball at WPI
Saturday, March 27 | 12/2 p.m.
Rooftop Field | Worcester, Mass.
• Babson is 33-36 all-time against WPI in a series that dates back to 1989.
• The Beavers have split their last 12 meetings against the Engineers going back to 2016.
• Babson is 4-1 against WPI and 9-2 overall at Rooftop Field dating back to 2-17.
• Josephine Mares '19 went 3-for-3 with an RBI and two runs scored to lead a 12-hit attack as Babson salvaged a split by defeating WPI, 5-3, in game two of a doubleheader on April 6, 2019, in Worcester.
• Katie Gademsky '20 tossed 6.1 innings and graduate student Brooke Stock struck out the final two batters to earn the save for the Beavers, who scored five times over the first three innings.
• Caroline Wood had three hits and Nicole Kuberka drove in a pair of runs for the Engineers.
SCOUTING THE ENGINEERS
• WPI (0-2, 0-2 NEWMAC) suffered back-to-back 4-1 losses to open the season at Springfield last Saturday.
• Junior Lindsay Ambrosino doubled as part of a two-hit performance in game two and Kallie Case contributed an RBI single for the Engineers, who were limited to just six hits.
• First-year Bella Sheeran went 3-for-5 with a run scored, Case singled twice and walked twice in six plate appearances, and sophomore Nicole Logrecco was 2-for-5 with two walks and an RBI against the Pride.
• Senior Katie Martin, who went 12-3 with a 1.99 ERA in 2019, allowed just one run while striking out seven in five innings of relief against the Pride.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (0-0, 0-0 NEWMAC) returns 12 players from a team that won three of its first four games at the Leadoff Classic in Tucson, Ariz., last March.
• Graduate student Jacqueline Paul is a career .336 hitter that ranks seventh in program history with 87 RBI, while junior Isabel Aguilar went 8-for-12 at the plate with two doubles and five RBI to begin last year after hitting .324 with 26 RBI in 36 games as a rookie in 2018.
• Senior Jamie Hoffman is batting .323 with 14 career extra-base hits and sophomore Sam Burggraf went 7-for-16 with four doubles and four RBI to start last year.
• Stock went 12-8 with five saves, a 2.43 ERA and 140 strikeouts over 132.1 innings in 2018. She is tied for fifth in program history in wins (37) and is fourth all-time with 383 career strikeouts.
CANAN REACHES MILESTONE
• Head coach Dave Canan, who is now in his 22nd season at Babson, recorded the 500th win of his career with a 6-5 victory over Emory & Henry on March 7 of last year.
• He became the 35th active Division III coach to reach the 500-win mark when the Beavers scored three times in the bottom of the seventh to erase a 5-3 deficit for the walk-off victory.
THE RACE IS ON
• The Beavers are scheduled to play six doubleheaders over the next six weeks with just the top four teams qualifying for May's NEWMAC Tournament.
• For the first time in conference history, the tournament will feature best-of-3 series in both the semifinals and championship round.
PRODUCING WITH RUNNERS ON BASE
• The Green and White hit .349 with runners in scoring position as a team in 2019, highlighted by Paul's .446 average (26-for-56).
• Aguilar went 21-for-50 (.420) and Hoffman batted .353 (12-for-34) with runners in scoring position two seasons ago.
• Stock has been terrific in her career against WPI going 4-2 with one save, a 1.62 ERA and 47 strikeouts in 43.2 innings pitched.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers went 22-6 in 2019 when scoring at least three runs.